Here is where I’ll be placing the other challenges I’m participating in this year!
- To read 120+ books.
- To read 45,000+ pages.
- To read for 30 minutes at least per day.
- To review at least half of what I read.
TBR Challenge (LibraryThing):
The group is here.
- The Art of Happiness – Dalai Lama XIV – read 7 January 2016
- Defending the Guilty – Alex McBride – read 1 Febuary 2016
- Homage to Catalonia – George Orwell – read 6 March 2016
- Maps and Legends – Michael Chabon – read 30 March 2016
- A Short History of Nearly Everything – Bill Bryson
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII – Antonia Fraser
- Smile or Die – Barbara Ehrenreich
- In Search of Schroedinger’s Cat – John Gribbin
- I Am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
- The Selfish Gene – Richard Dawkins
- Brief History of Time – Stephen Hawking
- H is for Hawk – Helen Macdonald
- Man in the High Castle – Philip K. Dick – read 4 January 2016
- Paradise Lost – John Milton – 9 February 2016
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas – Hunter S. Thompson – read 28 February 2016
- Naked Lunch – William S Burroughs – read 2 April 2016
- Tristram Shandy – Laurence Sterne
- Nicholas Nickleby – Charles Dickens
- Iliad – Homer
- Odyssey – Homer
- As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner
- The Prose Edda – Snorri Sturluson
- The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists – Robert Tressell
- Greece and Rome – HA Guerber
Baileys Prize for Women’s Fiction
To read, in reverse chronological order (with the exception of the 2016 winner, of course!) the winners of the Baileys Prize. I’m aiming for at least one per month, which means I probably will be continuing this into 2017, though I’m toying with the idea of doing all of the remaining ones in December. The list can be found here.
- 2016 – ?
- 2015 – How to be Both – read in 2015
- 2014 – A Girl is a Half Formed Thing – read 12 January 2016
- 2013 – May We Be Forgiven – read 12 February 2016
- 2012 – The Song of Achilles – read 29 February 2016
- 2011 – The Tiger’s Wife – read 6 April 2016
- 2010 – The Lacuna
- 2009 – Home
- 2008 – The Road Home
- 2007 – Half of a Yellow Sun
- 2006 – On Beauty
- 2005 – We Need to Talk About Kevin
- 2004 – Small Island
- 2003 – Property
- 2002 – Bel Canto
- 2001 – The Idea of Perfection
- 2000 – When I Lived in Modern Times
- 1999 – A Crime in the Neighbourhood
- 1998 – Larry’s Party
- 1997 – Fugitive Pieces
- 1996 – A Spell of Winter
Show Your Shelves Some Love: A No Book Buying Challenge
The challenge is here. Many thanks to the awesome women who run this challenge! I’m hoping to actually achieve my challenge this year. My goal is to impose a book buying “budget” on myself and to achieve black belt level from my TBR list. What does that mean?
51+ books: my shelves and I are going steady
So I must read 51+ books from the books I already own at the beginning of 2016. In terms of my budget, 2015 was a total bust. I did really well from January to June at not buying too many books but July to December was a completely different story. However, that isn’t necessarily an actual Bad Thing. I do love buying books and restricting myself too much makes me actively unhappy. I’ve also got a lot more of an income now than I did this time last year, so realistically I’m not going to stick to one book per month. So this year, I’m going to stick to a loose goal of reading between 3-5 books before I buy a new one. I’m also going to make a concerted effort to track my purchases to see exactly how much I’m buying.
Number read: 33